Back in the frenetic d20 boom, fresh from his acclaimed work at Wizards of the Coast as co-designer of Dungeons & Dragons 3.0 and author of the Third Edition’s Dungeon Master Guide, Monte Cook started the first of several new companies: Malhavoc Press, named for his own D&D3 rogue. One of the most successful D20 publishers, Malhavoc presented dozens of rulebooks and supplements from both Monte and other star designers, including Bruce R. Cordell (Return to the Tomb of Horrors) and Mike Mearls (later the lead designer for D&D Fifth Edition). Together, these two offers present most of the Malhavoc line for an unbeatable bargain price.
MALHAVOC ARCANAThe all-new Malhavoc Arcana offer presented Arcana Evolved, Monte Cook’s “variant player’s handbook” compatible with D&D 3.5, Pathfinder, and other D20 System fantasy games. Swap out your existing rulebook, swap in Arcana Evolved, and get dozens of new character races, classes, abilities, and a totally different magic system. This offer included most of the AE line and many other D20 supplements.
There were five titles in this offer’s Starter Collection (retail value $42) presented as DRM-free .PDF ebooks:
- Beyond Countless Doorways (retail price $13): The veteran designers of TSR’s Planescape campaign setting reunited to write this 226-page collection of new dimensional planes.
- Hyperconscious: Explorations in Psionics (retail $11): An adventure and rulebook for psionic characters by Bruce R. Cordell, designer of the Expanded Psionics Handbook for D&D.
- The Book of Iron Might (retail $7): New combat rules — maneuvers, feats, skills, stunts, and more — by D&D Fifth Edition lead designer Mike Mearls.
- Demon God’s Fane (retail $6): This challenging high-level dungeon adventure by Monte Cook is a companion to The Book of Eldritch Might (included in our newly revived Ptolus & Malhavoc offer — see below).
- The Temple of Mysteries: In Media Res (retail $5): A challenging one-shot dungeon crawl for thinking players.
- Arcana Evolved (retail $20): Monte Cook’s complete 434-page rulebook that can replace or augment your D&D/Pathfinder/D20 System games. Includes a ready-made campaign setting, the Lands of the Diamond Throne.
- Transcendence (retail $9): The Arcana Evolved player’s companion, with new classes, character options, and magic systems.
- Spell Treasury (retail $14): Triple the size of your magic-using characters’ spellbooks with this 240-page compendium.
- Legacy of the Dragons (retail $11): A 160-page bestiary for the Lands of the Diamond Throne or any D20 System setting.
- Ruins of Intrigue (retail $9): A complete Arcana Evolved campaign setting by Mike Mearls set in Serathis, a ruined dramojh city located between territories claimed by giants and dragons.
- Mystic Secrets (retail $8): This magic sourcebook by Mike Mearls takes an in-depth look at rituals, runes, and other magic that distinguishes Arcana Unearthed / Evolved from other settings.
REVIVED! PTOLUS & MALHAVOCResurrected from September 2014, the Ptolus & Malhavoc Bundle featured Monte Cook’s lavish 2006 sourcebook Ptolus: City by the Spire. The greatest flourish of his career to that time, Ptolus is a one-city sourcebook that displays breathtaking creativity and state-of-the-art graphics, illustrations, and presentation. With its 350 fabulous illustrations and over 100 color maps, the massive book’s size and the breadth of imagination were matched only by the grandeur of its production. Ptolus still stands alone as the most lavish citybook in fantasy roleplaying history.
A fantasy city built above extensive dungeons beside the Spire of an ancient foe, Ptolus works well with D&D 3.x, Pathfinder, or any D20 System fantasy game. Use it for a huge self-contained campaign, or insert the city into your home setting.
The Ptolus & Malhavoc Starter Collection presented DRM-free .PDF ebooks of the complete Ptolus: Monte Cook’s City by the Spire — the 808-page city sourcebook itself plus a full range of digital extras (The Banewarrens, Chaositech, The Night of Dissolution, two Campaign Journals, and more) — a retail value of US$60.
Those who paid more than the threshold price also got this offer’s entire Bonus Collection with seven more Malhavoc Press rulebooks (retail value $52): The Books of Experimental Might I (retail $9) and II ($7); The Complete Book of Eldritch Might (retail $13); The Books of Hallowed Might I (retail $6) and II ($7); and the Ptolus supplements Dark Tidings (retail $4) and Secrets of the Delver’s Guild ($6). Most of these books present the house rules from Monte’s own campaign — creative options for any D&D 3.x, Pathfinder, or other D20 System fantasy game.
Ten percent of each payment (after gateway fees) went to these offers’ designated charity, Human Rights Watch.