In February 2015 we presented our Vampire: The Masquerade Bundle featuring the 1992 2nd Edition of the White Wolf storytelling game that launched the World of Darkness and reshaped the roleplaying field.
Mark Rein-Hagen’s Vampire: the Masquerade is a transformative classic of tabletop roleplaying. Originally published in 1991, Vampire launched the World of Darkness setting and propelled White Wolf Game Studio to instant success. One of the most recognized tabletop franchises ever, the World of Darkness eventually encompassed literally hundreds of titles. Vampire sired a Fox TV show, a trading card game, two video games, and, for about seven years, a planned MMORPG
By 2004 the WoD line’s metaplot had grown cumbersome, and the larger cultural zeitgeist had moved on from punk. White Wolf rebooted the World of Darkness and discontinued support for all earlier lines including Vampire: the Masquerade. The new WoD, capably maintained by White Wolf’s spiritual successor Onyx Path Publishing, presents streamlined rules, lower-powered characters, and an atmosphere that favors “the terror of the unknown.” But many fans still enjoy “classic” WoD and its Gothic-Punk setting, as shown by the spectacular Kickstarter success of Onyx Path’s many 20th Anniversary editions.
This Vampire: The Masquerade Bundle featured the 1992 2nd Edition of Masquerade and many of its best-regarded supplements. The offer presents an easy and inexpensive path into the classic World of Darkness, one of the best-supported settings in RPG history. The Player’s Collection (retail value $44) included these four DRM-free .PDF ebooks:
- Vampire: The Masquerade 2e (retail price $16.80): The complete 1992 core rulebook.
- Vampire Players Guide – 2nd Edition (retail $13.20): A comprehensive guide to making and playing vampires, including the Clans not presented in the core book.
- Players Guide to the Sabbat (retail $9): How to create characters from the renegade faction of Clans that don’t buy into the Masquerade.
- Book of the Kindred (retail $5): An easy introduction to the setting, produced as a tie-in to the short-lived 1996 Fox TV series Kindred: The Embraced.
- The Storytellers Handbook 1e (retail $8): Storytelling advice tailored for Vampire, plus new rules, clans, and Bloodlines.
- A World of Darkness 2e (retail $10): An overview of the Kindred around the world, including histories, NPCs, and story seeds.
- Chicago by Night 2e (retail $10.80): The most popular setting for Vampire, Chicago is a beautiful tragedy in the making.
- The Kindred Most Wanted (retail $9): So dangerous, the entire vampire world’s put a price on their heads. A collection of truly scary antagonists for your Chronicle.
- Storytellers Handbook to the Sabbat (retail $9): If your vampires are in the Sabbat or frequently run into Sabbat foes, this is a book you can’t skip.
- Who’s Who Among Vampires: Children of the Inquisition (retail $9.60): Detailed histories of a dozen of the world’s most powerful Kindred, including Dracula.
- Ghouls: Fatal Addiction (retail $8): The mortal aides and hangers-on who help vampires get through the day.
- The Hunters Hunted (retail $5): How to run a campaign of mortal humans who seek and destroy vampires.