1. King Arthur Pendragon
Of over 19,800 games in the comprehensive RPG.net Game Index, King Arthur Pendragon ranks #5. Pendragon is the crowning achievement of legendary designer Greg Stafford, founder of Chaosium and discoverer of Glorantha.
[revived from June 2014]
As a knight in the perilous and magical time of King Arthur, you adventure to gain Glory and, in time, to found a lineage of descendants. As the 85-year saga advances, you play your original character’s children and grandchildren in a spectacular multi-generation campaign — an experience without equal anywhere in roleplaying. Pendragon isn’t just about adventuring; it is a painstakingly researched, amazingly detailed game about the noble, passionate, and ultimately tragic Knights of the Round Table.
Originally presented in June 2014, then resurrected that December and again in June 2017, this King Arthur Pendragon Bundle included everything you need for a campaign using one of the most honored and respected RPGs ever published. If you’re new to Pendragon, start with these books. There were five titles in this offer’s Starter Collection (retail value $57):
- King Arthur Pendragon Edition 5.2: The current 276-page core rulebook for playing knights in Britain.
- Book of Knights & Ladies: Create characters from 100 different places in Britain or ten foreign lands, and from a dozen religions.
- Tales of Chivalry & Romance and Tales of Magic & Miracles: Two large collections of adventures in the sunniest and darkest corners of Britain.
- Book of Records Volume 1 – Knights: Form-fillable, auto-calculating .PDF character and estate sheets.
- The Great Pendragon Campaign (retail $25): Greg Stafford’s multi-generation saga with over 100 adventures across 85 years, stretching from before Arthur is conceived to beyond his death. Of over 7,500 entries in the RPGgeek game index, The Great Pendragon Campaign is rated #1.
- Book of Battle Second Edition (retail $25): These rules for large-scale combat let your knight stride into battle and turn the tide for better — or worse.
- Book of Armies (retail $20): All the armies in The Great Pendragon Campaign and many more, plus the battles important in the legends, such as Badon and Camlann.
- Pendragon Gamemaster Characters (retail $2): Stats for all the important characters from The Great Pendragon Campaign and more.
2. Pendragon Arthurian Lands [all-new]Tthis all-new Arthurian Lands companion added location sourcebooks and scenarios from the 1990s. Originally written for the Third and Fourth Editions of Pendragon, these supplements all work well with the current rules.
(These .PDFs are image scans of the original 1990s hardcopies with Optical Character Recognition applied. Text is generally clear and copiable; some sidebars are muddy and usually not copiable. The covers were poorly scanned.)
There were four titles in this offer’s Starter Collection (retail value $34), including Saxons! (about the Germanic invaders in southeast Anglia), Perilous Forest (set in Cumbria), Savage Mountains (Cambria, i.e. Wales), and the adventure collection Blood and Lust (Cambria, Logres, Anglia).
This offer’s Bonus Collection had five more titles worth an additional $44, including Pagan Shore (Ireland), Beyond the Wall (Caledonia — Picts!), Land of Giants (Scandinavia — Beowulf!), and the adventure collections Tales of Mystic Tournaments and Tales of the Spectre Kings.
Ten percent of each payment (after gateway fees) went to these two Pendragon offers’ designated charity, the RPG Creators Relief Fund. The RCRF is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization founded to provide financial assistance to tabletop roleplaying game creators suffering hardship due to medical emergencies, natural disasters, and other catastrophic situations.
King Arthur Pendragon resources
- Designer Greg Stafford’s Pendragon page — a necessary early stop
- Nocturnal Media Pendragon forums
- The Esoteric Order of Roleplayers Pendragon page
- RPGgeek Geeklist: “King Arthur Pendragon: A Comprehensive Guide“
- “[King Arthur Pendragon] Help me sort out the supplements” — August 2016 RPG.net forum thread with house rules and advice from experienced players
- The King Arthur Pendragon RPG Repository (last updated in 2010)