Blue Planet – science-fiction roleplaying on the new frontier, 2199by Bundle Operator Monday 23 May 2016
AD 2078: Investigating an anomaly at the edge of the Solar System, the Prometheus II probe discovers a traversable ‘wormhole’ (space warp) that leads to the Lambda Serpentis system, 35 light-years from Earth. Ten years later, the United Nations establishes a small frontier colony of genetically engineered humans and ‘genlifted’ cetaceans on the system’s habitable ocean world, Poseidon. Earth’s civilization promptly collapses for over a century, but the abandoned colony thrives. Now it’s 2199, and Earth’s resurgent government(s) and Incorporate States have returned to Poseidon in a gold rush for the life-prolonging xenosilicate Long John. There’s a world to explore, an amazing ecology to study or plunder, criminals to catch — and the original pioneers are rebelling. Meanwhile, deep in Poseidon’s endless ocean, mysterious “aborigines” pursue unknowable goals of their own.
It’s an amazing setting, a waterworld “sandbox” where you can try just about anything, take on just about any profession, and be any kind of person — or uplifted dolphin, orca, or whale. It’s a place where life is hard and dying is easy — where GEO Marshals enforce the peace and wired mercs patrol deep waters in deadly fighter subs — where corporate greed and human desperation ravage an alien ecology, threatening to plunge humanity into a war of survival with an ancient legacy. The 23rd Century will be a time of unprecedented possibilities, not just for institutions and governments, but for real men and women (and cetaceans) who have the will and courage to build a future for themselves.
Our Player’s Collection included four titles (retail value $52.50) as DRM-free .PDF ebooks:
- Blue Planet First Edition rulebook (retail price $14): The complete 353-page 1997 rulebook from Biohazard Games.
- Blue Planet v2 Player’s Guide (retail retail $14): The new rules introduced in the Second Edition (Fantasy Flight Games, 2000). Play a dolphin or orca!
- Fluid Mechanics (retail $12): An equipment book showcasing the impressive yet plausible high technology of 2199.
- Ancient Echoes (retail $12.50): The cetacean sourcebook. Play a beluga whale! With a rocket launcher!
- Blue Planet v2 Moderator’s Guide (retail $14): The gamemastering rules, sourcebook, and campaign advice for the Second Edition.
- First Colony (retail $12): A location sourcebook for Poseidon’s largest settlement, Haven.
- Frontier Justice (retail $12): Crime and law enforcement on Poseidon, and how to run campaigns with either crooks or GEO Marshals.
- Natural Selection (retail $12): The marvelous (and plausible) ecology of the alien oceans, and many newly discovered residents.
- Archipelago (retail $9.50): The first supplement for First Edition, this guide to the Pacifica Archipelago opens new frontiers on Poseidon.
- NEW! Access Denied (retail $8): The First Edition GM screen booklet with maps, charts, and adventure seeds.
- NEWER! Undercurrents (free): An archive of all eight issues of the Biohazard Games promotional newsletter, 1997-2007.